Thursday, October 16, 2014

These Are a Few of my Favorite Things

So, when I did my "what do you want me to blog about?" blog entry, someone asked to know about my favorite things so that readers could get to know me better.  In case anyone's wondering, because of the title of this blog, Sound of Music is actually not one of my favorite things.  In fact, I kind of can't stand it, probably because when I was growing up, there were only two VHS' at my grandparents' beach house we would go to every summer, and we weren't allowed to bring more because those were rainy day activities only and only once we got tired of playing board games.  The family didn't support watching TV.  Those two movies were The Sound of Music and The Last Unicorn.  I always chose to watch The Last Unicorn, the rest of my family loved The Sound of Music.  Even though I'm into musical theater, I still can't stand it.  Give me The Last Unicorn any day!

Let's see... other favorite things...

Reading, obviously.  I'm super into sci-fi/fantasy when I'm not reading trashy romances.  My favorite book of all time is The Merro Tree by Kate Waitman.  It's utterly fantastic.  Normally I hate it when books go back and forth between the present and the past, but she does it RIGHT and it's SO good.  Engaging, sexy, entertaining, haunting... it's one of the few books that has a scene that I will cry at EVERY single time.  Not because it's particularly sad, exactly, but it's so tragic that it's beautiful, even though it's actually not tragic at all because it's only a reminder of past tragedies... kind of like crying at a memorial.  If you ever read it, it's when Mikk does the glass dancing.  It makes me ache inside of my chest.  I just love that book.  Everything about it.  My second favorite book of all time is the Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.  What can I say, I have a thing for trees!

I love anything to do with dressing up in costume, especially for pirate stuff!!!  I'm getting really into cosplay lately =)

My favorite movies are Love Actually, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog, the Princess Bride, Sleeping Beauty, Pirates of the Caribbean, Rodger's and Hammerstain's Cinderella (the one with Leslie Ann Warren), Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.  Those are the ones that I can watch over and over and over again.  I'm also a big fan of Boondock Saints, the Court Jester, Condorman, Rustler's Rhapsody and Clue.  I watch all of those at least once a year.  

I don't have a favorite band or song or anything like that.  I'm currently obsessed with Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass."  But I love pretty much all kinds of music except for hard rap or really heavy metal.  Although, like Angel in Stronghold, when I'm super pissed off I do listen to my O-tep CD, which is normally too screamer for me.  I'm just not a big music person.

Hmmm... obsessions.  Currently Doctor Who and Harry Potter are probably my top two obsessions.  Especially Doctor Who, since I can watch the classic stuff so there's lots more for me to see.  On the other hand, I get super fan-girly about Harry Potter.  Guess who's going to check out the new HP World this year?!!!!! Sooooooooooo excited.  At some point, there's going to be a new character in the Stronghold novels that has a Doctor Who obsession so that she and Angel can get into nerd arguments about which is better, Doctor Who or Harry Potter.  heh heh heh. Honestly, I don't know if I could choose.

So yeah... those are a few of my favorite things.  If there are any that you're like "what the heck is that and why do you like it?" just leave a comment and I will be happy to try and convert you to the dark side. ;) 

7 comments :

  1. I feel like I read it before at some point that you're a Doctor Who fan, but I must've forgotten. I just wanted to comment on how awesome that is! I love finding fellow Whovians. I am slightly obsessed as well :-) I should really stop walking into Hot Topic if I'm in a mall, because I am tempted by the DW displays. I have to remind myself that my roommate will NOT appreciate a TARDIS shower curtain...

    How do you like the classic episodes? I haven't watched any yet, just the revamp stuff, but I've been thinking about it. Also, who was your first doctor and who's your favorite??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whovians unite! hahahaha. Hot Topic is bad, but ThinkGeek.com is worse... the amount of money I spend there... I just bought a Tardis Christmas ornament, a "Keep Calm and Don't Blink" t-shirt, and a license plate border that says "My other car is a Tardis." Considering what I WANT to buy, I think I actually contained myself very well!

      I've watched some of the classic episodes, the ones that are available on Netflix. They're cheesy but they're also kind of awesome. If you're really into Doctor Who, I think they're fun to see where stuff comes from. K-9 is awesome, of course. I want to watch more of the classics now that I've seen a few.

      Eccleston was my first... and I'm one of those people who says they're all my favorite because they're all the Doctor =) I really can't choose. I had trouble adjusting to Tenant, and then even more trouble adjusting to Smith, but I ended up falling in love with both. Capaldi I was able to accept faster, I think in part because I'd already been through the process twice before so I'm more accepting in general. I will say, Blink is my favorite episode, Matt Smith's "Colonel Runaway" speech is one of my favorite speeches, the Bad Wolf storyline is probably my favorite arch, and River Song and Rory are my favorite companions. =) What about you?! Any favorites in the series? Have you been watching Capaldi?

      Delete
    2. Pretty sure ThinkGeek is where I got my exploding Tardis shirt and River Song journal...

      Tennant is definitely my favorite, but I love all of them. He was technically my first - a friend showed me an episode in high school (New Earth I think), but I didn't get into it until college and I went back and started with Eccleston. And I had to say goodbye to Tennant twice :-(

      LOVE Blink. The Weeping Angels are my favorite "monsters". I also loved The Girl in the Fireplace, and may have quoted half the episode on a friend's status with two others... Bad Wolf is definitely an amazing storyline. Companions? Probably River Song and Amy & Rory. I love their dynamic. Still haven't completely warmed up to Clara, but she's growing on me. Really liking Capaldi, although sometimes I worry I might need to turn subtitles on!

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah, The Girl in the Fireplace is suuuuch a good one! Oh the feeeeeels! hahahaha. Clara bothers me sometimes... during the moon episode recently I finally figured out why - she's never had to make the hard decisions. She's always along for the fun ride, and she sometimes gets all holier-than-thou when the doctor has to make the hard decisions, but SHE never had to. I'm hoping that she's going to grow up a bit more this season. She kinda reminded me of a whiny teenager for a bit during the growing process, but it seems like she's getting there.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with the Kate Davis cover of "All About That Bass" -- though I do like Meghan Trainor's original as well.

    As always, I'm also obsessed with your writing , too! Can't wait for the next Stronghold book ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for that! I haven't heard the cover =)

      And thank you!!!! It's still weird to me that people might be obsessed with something I've done,b ut it's awesome to hear too =D

      Delete